My husband enjoys the occasional Indo Mee packet noodle lunch at home on the weekend, and the kids always love having some. I wanted to recreate that 2 minute asian noodle meal without the crazy amount of additives and preservatives (and heaven knows what else!) that are in the packet ones. My husband was keen to find an alternative too, as long as it tasted as good. So with a little experimentation I whipped up this quick and easy recipe. The kids were eating so fast they couldn’t even comment and my husband says it tastes just like the packet. Winner! This is a quick and easy meal, with only a few wholesome ingredients. You could definitely add steamed or stir-fried meat and/or veg if you wanted to, or serve this as a side dish, but at my place just noodles for a quick weekend lunch.
I cook 100g of noodles which makes 4 children sized portions or 1 hungry husband portion. If you cook more noodles, increase the sauce component amounts accordingly.
- 100g Organic Noodles (I use Hakubaku Japanese Noodles – cooking time will depend on your noodles. Somen cook in 2 min and the others range from 4-10 min cooking time)
- 2 tsp TMX Vegetable Stock Concentrate
- 2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tsp honey (add up to 1 tsp honey depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- optional – dried onion flakes to taste (I use 1 tsp)
- optional – dried chilli flakes to taste (I use 1 tsp)
- Bring water to the boil, add noodles and cook for time recommended on the packet
- Place all other ingredients in a bowl
- Add cooked, drained noodles to the bowl and mix until coated in sauce
- Serve and enjoy