Since posting this pic on my personal Instagram feed a few weeks ago I have been inundated with requests to post the recipe. Finally I’ve found time to get back to my blog. Brace yourselves, this recipe is unbelievably good. My SIL made these with my kids in our last school holidays cooking day (so much fun!). The dough proved to be quite resilient to being kneaded and rolled out by little people.
The original recipe comes from Taste of Home and has instructions for making the dough in a bread maker. I’ve written the recipe below for TMX. If you don’t have a TMX or breadmaker, I would imagine you could mix the dough ingredients together well and knead by hand for 5min before leaving to prove, however I haven’t tried this. The filling and icing can easily be mixed by hand or in an electric mixer.The dough takes 2 hours to prove so start ahead of time.
These scrolls are best enjoyed warm from the oven. I hope you enjoy them.
- 150g milk
- 100g maple syrup
- 80g butter
- 1 egg
- 1tsp salt
- 500g white baker’s flour
- 2tsp dry yeast
- 100g brown sugar
- 30g plain flour
- 4tsp ground cinnamon
- 90g cold butter
- 70g maple syrup
- 140g icing sugar
- 45g butter
- 2tsp milk
- Add all dough ingredients to the TMX in the order listed
- Mix 7 sec, Sp 5
- Knead 2min 30sec
- Place dough in a large bowl, in a warm spot and cover with a tea towel. Allow to prove for 2 hours.
- Pre heat oven to 190C
- Divide proved dough into equal portions and roll each into a rectangle approx 30cm x 18cm
- If you’re making your own icing sugar, place raw sugar in the TMX and blitz 20sec, Sp 9, then set aside
- Place all cinnamon filling ingredients in TMX and mix 20sec, Sp 4
- Spread half the cinnamon filling onto each rectangle of dough
- Roll dough from long side to form a log, then slice into 12 slices (so you end up with 24 scrolls)
- Place the scrolls cut side down in a greased pyrex dish or tin, just touching each other
- Cover with a tea towel and allow to prove for a further 20min
- Bake for 20-25min until golden brown
- While baking combine icing ingredients in TMX and mix 20sec, Sp 4
- Spread the icing over the warm rolls when they come out of the oven and enjoy