Since making this tomato sauce for my family, we have been unable to go back to sauce from the supermarket. This recipe makes a tasty, thick tomato sauce that has a very mild spiciness. Of my 3 kids, one loved it immediately, one loved it once I convinced him to try it and one loved it on her second tasting. I love that it is so much better for the kids (and us) than processed sauce from the supermarket, it contains no additives or preservatives, and it even contains vegetables!
This sauce does stain the thermomix lid and basket, but this resolves within a few regular washes in hot, soapy water.
- 1000 g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 180 g red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 130 g red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 100 g red wine vinegar (used in 2 x 50g portions)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 20 mustard seeds
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf, fresh if possible
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 100 g honey
Makes approx 800ml sauce
- Place roughly chopped tomatoes, red capsicum, red onions, garlic cloves and 50g of red wine vinegar into TMX bowl and chop 5 Sec, Speed 7
- Cook 40 min, Varoma, Sp 2. Place simmering basket on top of lid to prevent splattering.
- Add remaining 50g red wine vinegar, bay leaf, spices, salt and honey. Cook 20 min, Varoma, Sp 2 with simmering basket in place again.
- Insert MC and blitz 1 min, Sp 10
- Transfer into sterilised jars. Keeps up to 6 months in the fridge.
Recycle used jars or buy new glass jars for your preserve. Wash the jars and lids thoroughly in hot soapy water, rinse well and air dry. Alternately wash them in the dishwasher. Then place clean jars on a clean tray in the oven at 100C and allow to dry out for 15 min. Pour hot preserve into hot, sterilised jars and seal with lids immediately. As the preserve and jar cools the lid will be pulled in to form a seal. The lid of the jar will ‘pop’ when opened. You can also purchase plastic film seals for your jars that go over the jar before the lid is put on. I’m sure you can buy them elsewhere but I get these ones from Coles ($1.83 for a 24 pack). They are handy if your jars have been reused numerous times and the lids are getting worn.