My philosophy on kids and veggies is simple. Teach them all about vegetables, grow them in the garden if you can, serve a wide range of veggies in lots of different ways. Continue to serve veggies in small portions even if they don’t get eaten sometimes. And hide a complete range of veggies in everything you can!
I often add pureed or mashed veg to meals for the kids plus serve whole veg on the side so the kids can see them and try them.
This is a really tasty sauce that also freezes well. I freeze it in cubes so it’s always on hand for a quick kids dinner. Most often I serve this Winning Sauce with pasta and little parmesan grated on top. It’s also great on pizza bases, if you’re making savoury rolls or pizza scrolls, for chicken parmigiana or to cook meatballs in.
This recipe makes approx 2L of sauce.
- 20g olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- Half a leek
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 carrots
- 100g pumpkin (leave skin on)
- 1 red or yellow capsicum
- 1 tin of tomatoes (400g)
- 500ml passata
- Handful of mixed fresh herbs – parsley, basil, thyme
- Pink Salt & Black Pepper
- Roughly chop all the veggies & herbs and place in TMX bowl
- Chop 10-20sec, Sp 6
- Add 20g oil, tinned tomatoes & passata
- Whiz 5 sec, Sp 6
- Cook 30min, 100C, Sp 1
- Puree 20sec, Sp 9
- Season to taste and whiz on Sp 6 to mix salt & pepper through
- Done! Serve or freeze for later.